Finance And Operations Manager
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
FISCAL/PLANNING & BUDGETARY MANAGEMENT PROFESSIONAL
Leadership~Quality Improvement~Human Resources~Facilities Management
Finance and Operations Manager with proven success in cost reduction, program management, financial reporting and audit preparation. Excels in capturing dramatic cost savings to positively impact the bottom line. Recognized by executive staff as a dependable leader with exceptional problem-solving skills, expertise in maximizing resources and the ability to motivate and encourage others. Knowledge of employee development techniques and processes.
Key areas of competency:
Continuous Quality Improvement
Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN ACCOUNTING, May 2000
CPA preparation: Successfully completed all coursework and CPA training requirements; will be taking examination in the near future.
ACCOUNTING/COMPUTER SOFTWARE SKILLS
Windows 95/98/2000/XP, Mac OS 7.5-9.0, Microsoft Office Suite, Peachtree, Pro-Systems & Go-Systems Tax, CCH online, Fixed Asset Depreciation, and Maple mathematical
FINANCE & OPERATIONS MANAGER
2002 - present
Georgia Avenue/Rock Creek East Family Support Collaborative, Washington, DC
Recruited to develop and implement comprehensive system of fiscal management, financial accountability, and informative management reporting for social services-related agency with $1 million annual operating budget. Supervise maintenance of fiscal management system; evaluate strengths and weaknesses.
Oversee all cash management, accounting procedures and program administration, including accounts payable, payroll, budgeting, and personnel development. Maintain timely, ongoing communication with Executive Director and Board on policy-related issues, fiscal progress and general administration of organization.
· Implemented written policy procedures and measures to create and increase accounting efficiency and accuracy.
· Developed stringent cash disbursement policies, which saved the company over $15,000 in erroneous vendor claims.
· Created extensive audit trail and tracking system; directed company’s first complete federal audit (OMB A 133).
· Played instrumental role in guiding organization through the 501(c) 3 application process.
· Cultivated vendor relationships and negotiated new contracts, which led to 40% volume discounts on office supplies.
· Conducted expense analysis of healthcare insurance benefits, which resulted in annual cost savings of 50%.
Income Tax Preparer
Instant Tax Service, Washington, DC
Served as tax preparer and advisor for retail income tax preparation company. Developed tax returns and related disclosure materials for clients. Researched tax questions and cross-sold other tax services.
· Counseled clients in tax return preparation, electronic filing and refund options.
· Reduced clients’ state and federal tax liabilities by conducting thorough computerized interviews.
· Reviewed and verified prior year tax returns and verified tax returns for thoroughness and accuracy.
Charleston Forge Furniture, Boone, NC
Ensured accuracy and timeliness of invoices for fine furniture manufacturer with nationwide delivery options.
· Generated monthly invoices for demanding delivery department.
Dixon Odom, Greensboro, NC
Selected as an Intern for largest certified public accounting firm in Southeast region with $95 million and presence in 24 cities. Company specializes in accounting, audit, tax and consulting services.
· Analyzed financial statements and prepared corporate, estate, partnership, and individual tax returns.
· Actively engaged in company audits; audits included substantive testing of fixed assets, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other major expense categories.
· Conducted research of IRS tax laws and codes.
Held several management positions in the retail, restaurant and hospitality industry. Gained exceptional knowledge in employee development and supervision, customer service and sales training, and inventory and cash management.