President And Owner
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Multilingual project manager with international experience in marketing, market research, and consulting. Extensive experience with start-up businesses, retail franchises, and OEMs. Manage customer relationships in international environments. Assist companies entering foreign markets. Flexible and willing to travel extensively and relocate nationally or internationally.
• Spearheaded and established new niche market retail chain with exclusive contracts between head office in Japan and manufacturing companies in New York and Munich that generated over $1 million in revenue within 1 year.
• Proven success in reducing costs; producing substantial profits, even in declining and competitive markets; developing new procedures; problem solving; negotiating; communicating; and motivating employees.
• Led start-up company to achieve online retail sales of $1.5 million within 3 years.
• Innovative problem solver and effective communicator with out-of-the box mentality who develops quality management, marketing, and sales teams.
• Trained sales team of 20 employees on newly designed computer software usage and customer application.
• Supervised and trained new customer service staff in sales, cashiering, problem solving, and inventory control.
• Oversaw retail sales and customer service procedures for processing sales in excess of $4 million annually for 2 stores producing substantial profits.
• Advanced business knowledge in Spanish and Japanese.
Reed and Associates, Nagoya, Japan
2000 - Present
President / Owner
International corporation established in Japan in 1997 with American management and delivery / shipping branch. Startup with online retail sales of ice/roller hockey equipment with annual sales of $1.5 million. Ranked #1 ice hockey Internet site in Japan from 1998 - 2000.
Oversee P&L and prepare monthly/annual financial reports in Japan and US. Prepared financial analysis including cash flow, income statements, and balance sheets.
In charge of web-site development, marketing and advertising, sales, communications, and customer service.
Attend all overseas sporting goods and footwear trade shows in search of new products.
Recruit, train, and develop sales force in small call center.
Research and locate new business opportunities in ever-changing global economy.
• Established start-up business as foreigner in Japan. Obtained 99% of stock share in company (very unusual for foreigners).
• Brought company from debt to profit within 11 months by analyzing and implementing effective sales and accounting systems.
• Attained stable annual sales of $1.5 million within first 3 years.
SFB, Hiroshima, Japan
1998 - 2000
International Director/New Business Consultant
Company with with over 100 employees in 21 stores in Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, and Hiroshima with annual sales of over $100 million. Sells "extreme" sporting goods: surf-, skate-, snow-, and windboards and are ranked in top 5% in industry.
•Worked as Senior Management Consultant for start-up manufacturer of niche-oriented consumer products. Reported to President/CEO and supervised and trained 50 employees in software usage, direct sales, and footwear specialists.
•Formulated strategies and negotiated with manufacturers on key issues relating to pricing, delivery quantities, and business expansion.
•Oversaw retail sales and customer service procedures for processing sales of $1+ million annually.
•Directed training and management of retail sales and distribution of computerized foot pressure measurement system.
•Attended international manufacturing conventions to acquire new products and negotiate exclusive distribution contracts.
Acted as translator and new business development advisor.
• Fundamental in acquisition of 9 new stores. Increased annual sales from $53 million to $100 million in 1 year.
• Opened 2 new stores with annual revenues of $4 million. Secured 2 exclusive distribution contracts with German and American manufacturers.
• Increased footwear annual sales by 75% in 1 year.
Helix International, Nagoya, Japan
1997 - 1998
Architectural firm/construction company with 250 employees and $500 million in annual sales.
• Managed 10 import specialists. Taught cost reduction methods for packing, shipping, and distribution of materials. Oversaw over $150 million worth of housing materials.
• Developed methods for reducing import duties by 45%. Reduced inventory losses from 9.5% to 3%.
Member, American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ), 1997 - Present
Member, American Business Community in Nagoya (ABCN), 1996 - Present
Japanese Ministry of Education Fellowship (Monbusho) 1995 - 1997, Equivalent to US Fulbright
University Graduate School of International Development, Nagoya, Japan
M.A., International Cooperation
GPA: 3.95, Graduated in top 1% of class
Intensive Japanese, YWCA Language School, Nagoya, Japan 1995
Intensive Spanish, Instituto de Relaciones Culturales, Mexico City, 1989
MS PowerPoint, Publisher, FrontPage, Outlook, Excel, Word. Corel Office, Word-Perfect, Photoshop, Illustrator, Intuit Kobanto (Japan), and Quicken.