Parks and Recreation Superintendent
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Former Parks and Recreation Superintendent
With 6 years of overall experience in Parks & Recreation and 2 years as a superintendent
· Four years additional experience as a director of grounds responsible for managing over 140 school district facilities.
· Background includes new building, playground, and trail construction; renovations, remodeling, restoration, and landscaping projects; fluid irrigation system development; environmental restoration projects; and developing and managing urban forestry programs.
· Successfully negotiated the purchase of trees, fertilizers, chemicals, and building materials.
· Excellent technical knowledge of soil physics and ability to look at soil profile to design fertility programs.
· Developed synergy by communicating successfully with the general public, all other departments, parks development board, council members, and print and electronic media representatives.
· Computer skills include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and AutoCAD.
· Willing to relocate.
Areas of expertise:
· Managing all operations
· Creating/implementing operating procedures
· Developing budgets
· Project management
· Maintaining/reducing costs
· Supervising personnel
· Performance evaluations
· Creating/implementing safety programs
· Developing training programs
Consultant – Houston, Texas
2001 to Present
Worked with Sodexho/Marriott in St. Petersburg, Florida on a grounds maintenance project at Eckerd College. Emphasis on reviewing all operations, developing improvement recommendations, and overseeing the implementation process. Previous projects included mitigation of environmental restoration and development of a centralized ground maintenance program.
Superintendent – Pearland Parks and Recreation – Houston, Texas
1999 to 2001
Coordinated and directed all grounds and facilities maintenance operations for 8 large regional parks and buildings on approximately 150 to 200 acres. Managed five direct reports with overall responsibility for 30 employees. Forecasted, controlled, and managed a $2 million budget. Facilities included a senior citizens center, city hall, community center, library, swimming pool, tennis courts, softball and soccer fields, bike trails, chamber of commerce building, and all right of ways and median strips within the city.
· Honored in October 2001 with the Innovative Management in Parks and Beautification Award from Texas Recreation and Parks Society Region IV.
· Developed and implemented a 15-week horticulture training program for staff, first in the history of Pearland, which improved efficiency by at least 30% and reduced project time.
· Negotiated the donation of 300 hybrid-T-roses from Jackson & Perkins and created a rose garden at City Hall that was an integral part of the horticulture training program.
· Implemented standard operating procedures, and facilitated a production schedule with supervisor and crew leaders that contributed to increased productivity and improved morale.
· Assigned additional responsibility for urban forestry program.
· Developed tree survey with real estate developers to see impact of construction on tree population, negotiated redesign of lots or mitigation for replacement, securing $60,000 in mitigation funds.
· Initiated and developed a working tree farm that saved from $5,000 to $10,000 per year—initially negotiated the purchase of 800 trees at a significantly low cost.
· Developed an affluent (gray water) irrigation system for an 80 acre park, reducing or eliminating $100,000 in fines for placement of water in creek.
Director of Grounds – Service Master Management Inc. – Chattanooga, Tennessee
1998 to 1999
Hired to turnaround Hamilton County School District’s ground maintenance operations and improve quality of service for this contractor responsible for 1,000 acres of public school property. This included 18 high schools, 21 middle schools, 49 elementary schools, and 15 athletic facilities. Supervised between 25 and 30 employees. Interacted with the superintendent, principals, and teachers.
· Developed ground maintenance operational procedures and developed work schedules.
· Created and implemented a safety training program that increased employee awareness and reduced the number of accidents.
· Introduced beautification projects.
Grounds Training Coordinator – Sodexho / Marriott – Atlanta, Georgia
1995 to 1998
Directed all grounds operations for 10 high schools, 16 middle schools, 63 elementary schools, 7 charter schools, and 12 sports field complexes. Supervised 35 employees.
· Developed standard operating procedures, as well as integrated pest management and grounds maintenance programs.
· Created Marriott’s startup manuals implemented nationwide for school district grounds maintenance programs.
· Promoted to grounds training coordinator after 8 months in Lubbock, Texas working for Marriott School Services as a grounds supervisor.
Maintenance Worker / Chemical Applicator – Parks and Recreation – Irving, Texas
1992 to 1995
Provided hands-on maintenance of grounds, buildings, and athletic field facilities for the City of Irving.
· Developed and implemented an integrated pest management program.
Bachelor of Science in Agriculture Education – Texas Tech University – Lubbock, Texas