604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Senior-level business professional with 20 years of airline general management and operations experience. Background includes airfield management for the United States Air Force and small business consulting in the areas of emergency preparedness and risk management.
Highly effective communications skills with the ability to relate successfully to individuals at all levels within and outside of the organization. Core competencies include:
· Strategic & Tactical Business Planning
· Team Coaching, Mentoring, & Performance Improvement
· Labor Relations & Arbitration
· Continuous Quality Improvement
· Profit & Loss Management
· Project Management
· Sales, Marketing, & Public Relations
AMERICA WEST AIRLINES – Phoenix, Arizona
1983 to Present
Publicly traded (NYSE:AWA); one of top ten of United States airlines with 2002 sales of $2 billion.
CITY MANAGER, Bakersfield, CA / Portland, OR / Milwaukee, WI (1990 to Present)
Promoted and re-located to start operations in three cities. Served two years in Bakersfield, CA (1990 to 1992) then moved to Portland for eight months before long-term assignment in Milwaukee.
Directed a staff of 35 with two Supervisors responsible for ticketing, passenger service, ground operations, and fleet services for daily inbound and outbound flights. Managed P&L with annual revenues of $2.8 million and operating/capital budgets of $1.5 million. Handled personnel development and labor relations; ensured staff compliance with corporate policy and operational safety guidelines.
· Tracked, analyzed, and reported key performance measurements relative to operation plan. Achieved rankings in the top 25% of 15 cities for on-time service, baggage handling, customer complaints, and aircraft ground mishaps. Improved freight handling and maximized mail contracts.
· Administered a six-year co-share contract (1997 through July 2003) with Continental Airlines to provide complete customer service and fleet services for 12 daily flights (in addition to America West’s three flights). Recruited, trained, and directed a total staff of 80 with four supervisors.
· Secured a $300,000 contract with American Trans Airways (ATA) to provide fleet services for eight daily flights and replace revenue from discontinued co-shared Continental contract. Reduced labor and operating expenses significantly and improved profit margin by 20%. Generated additional contract sales and services valued at over $1 million in annual revenues.
· Wrote and established corporate manpower guidelines. Directly involved with America West/Continental co-share and synergy alignment. Served as Co-Chair of the Divisional Headcount Committee; evaluated staffing requests for potential co-share/synergy opportunities. Analyzed procedural differences to gain operational efficiencies.
· Served as a member of the airport Airline Managers’ Council and function as Co-Chair of the Airport Security Sub-Committee. Resolved issues with Milwaukee Country related to water runoff, snow removal, and emergency/security. Developed strategies to foster teamwork among agencies and improve overall airport safety.
· Assisted corporation defeat unionization of customer service employees by developing and helping implement a CSR Field Panel Representation program to improve vertical communication and give the field employees a voice.
· Directed three renovation and safety improvement construction projects with no interruptions in service. Continued to maintain strong relationships with contractors for future projects.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND GROUND OPERATIONS MANAGER, Las Vegas, NV (1987 to 1990)
Promoted to assist City Manager with personnel administration, cost accounting, regulatory compliance, and safety.
· Ensured adequate manpower during peak business hours; prepared schedules for more than 200 full-time and part-time employees.
· Compiled and maintained a cost-effective budget for the entire city operation.
· Wrote procedural guidelines for a safe and effective operation; ensured compliance with all directives.
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR, Las Vegas, NV (1986 to 1987)
Managed and trained a staff of 200 Customer Service Representatives and Operations Agents. Established the HUB Operations Department for the organization’s second busiest airport location with 100 daily flights. Implemented procedures to obtain inbound/outbound flight statistics.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE/OPERATIONS AGENT, Phoenix, AZ (1983 to 1986)
Provided passenger assistance at the ticket counter and gate areas. Ensured compliance with FAA, corporate, and airport regulations. Completed sales report.
PLATTE CHEMICAL – Fremont, Nebraska
1982 to 1983
Supervised and trained 20 workers on three production lines manufacturing agricultural difoliton granules. Accountable for ensuring worker safety and maintaining stringent quality standards.
GB AVIATION CONSULTING – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1996 to 2002
Assisted small aviation businesses with the development of emergency policy and procedural manuals. Provided specialized training and implementation of procedures.
MCCHORD AIR FORCE BASE – Tacoma, Washington
1980 to 1982
AIRFIELD MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Coordinated all activities involving aircraft movement, in-flight emergencies, and runway inspections. Edited flight plans, monitored weather, and handled classified documents.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Airline/Travel Diploma, International Air Academy – Vancouver, Washington
1982 to 1983
Specialized Training Includes
Organizational Behavior, Substance Abuse Recognition, Management Development, Critical Command, Central Command
Ground Security Coordinator
Nebraska Sports, Incorporated – Consulting Member to, Board of Directors
1998 to Present
Worldwide Machining Services, Incorporated – Member, Board of Directors
1997 to 2000