Restuarant Manager Business Development
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Restaurant Manager with over 20 years experience, currently working as a member of the corporate management team with sole responsibility for growing and developing restaurant partner relationships for a major oil company's service provider. Background involves managing national contracts, developing partner relationships, creating development agreements, conducting bid processes and partner assessments, negotiating terms and fees of contracts, approving vendors, developing merchandising plans and programs, analyzing category performance, pricing and promotional strategies, setting up national promotional calendars, and managing contract renewal process. Involved in budgeting, cost controls, profit and loss, shrinkage, sales and marketing, facilities management, equipment maintenance, inventory control, procurement, recruitment, orientation and training, and staff development.
Baker and Baker, Inc.
2000 - Present
Coordinate and direct all activities involved in selecting and securing multi-million dollar national contracts, and managing partner relationships in the continental United States for potential sites. Provide direction and serve as liaison between partner and convenient store sales managers. Interact with in-house counsel and serve as expert for the entire ventures group. Interface externally with presidents, vice presidents, and development vice presidents. Major partnering accounts include Taco Bell, Subway, Popeye's and Burger King.
• Recruited for this position to grow, develop, and implement restaurant strategies, communicate guidelines for executing strategies, and create support systems for franchise segment.
• Reduced the number of partnering relationships from 19 to 7 (a 63% reduction) which improved negotiation terms, provided a solid platform for increasing revenue potential, and increased management capabilities.
• Created the first strategic plan which details processes to develop sites and define parameters for success (current units have achieved an increase in annual revenues from $500,000 previously to an average of $900,000 per unit).
• Developed a strategic plan with a franchise group (increased traffic flow, and provided potential for more success, higher revenues, and higher royalties).
• Wrote 12 development agreements since January 2000, with 75 units to be built over the next five years (anticipated to generate $60 million).
• Identified the need for a Point of Sale (POS) system, negotiated contract, and working with IT staff to identify the hardware and software that will optimize site operations and information, provide functionality for restaurant, and interface with all aspects of business.
• Saved $700,000 by eliminating fees incurred for breach of contract established prior to tenure (accomplished through personal industry reputation and credibility, action plan developed, and commitment to overseeing adherence to process).
• Developed an historical and archival database for all restaurant iinformation on all past and present sites (allows major decision makers to research trends and pull information such as terms, royalty structure fees, and advertising fees).
• Gained sole responsibility for the entire restaurant department after reorganization. Assumed responsibility for a franchise segment of the business and established a working relationship with ventures group.
• Created marketing materials and articles published in the company's internal magazine to market and promote changes in co-branding strategy and benefits of co-branding with restaurant.
• Facilitated the formation of annual Strategic Partner Planning Meetings for key partners to meet for three days of intensive roundtable discussions on topics such as QSR development, approval and renewal criteria (nurtured relationships, re-established communication guidelines, redefined strategic process, and favorably impacted business plan).
1997 - 1999
Director of Operations
Managed all aspects of operations for a 34-unit franchisee, generating $30 million in annual gross revenues. Focused on managing corporate training and development for the franchise owners. Certified internal market training managers and supported district manager in selection of market training managers, placement, and development of all new hires.
• Grew the operations from 19 units to 34 units, with 12 additional units in the bidding process when tenure ended
• Achieved a 20% increase in annual revenues, contributed to an average 25% direct line profitability level, and increased staffing capacity from 60% to 90%.
• Wrote corporate training manuals and training curriculum to counteract the rapid growth after recruiting 4 district managers, 29 managers, and more than 20 assistant managers (ensured quality of training, measured the performance of all personnel and trainers as well, built tenure, and reduced turnover).
• Identified and trained area restaurant managers to become a part of the Certified Training Manager training program (a competitive incentive program was created, bonuses were awarded, development positions offered to store managers).
• Supported national rollouts by working with headquarters to develop criteria for the leaders program, performance, recruiting, and development process (gave franchise owners exposure in the franchise community).
• Served as an instructor of the national Food Protection Management Program.
• Developed an employee recruitment incentive program where employees were rewarded for recruiting quality personnel.
1995 - 1997
Director of Operations
Recruited by a franchise owner to manage all operations and maintain total profit and loss responsibility for 15 stores, generating $3.8 million in gross annual sales. Opened three new stores. Implemented an inventory management system, bulk ordering process, and a centralized distribution and warehouse system that reduced costs. Reduced employee turnover by 300%, food costs by 2%, and overtime by more than $436,800 per year for all 15 stores.
1994 - 1997
Supported 39 franchise operations in growing their business. Provided recommendations regarding business and financial planning, business development, expansion projects, and overall growth. Interacted with advertising agency and marketing department in hosting a marketing training seminar for 100 store managers and franchise operators.
1980 - 1994
Houston Area Supervisor (1988 to 1994) - 9 locations /$7 million gross / 32% gross profit margin
Corporate Training Instructor (1987 to 1988) - 475 stores in 4 states
Lead Manager for South Houston District (1986 to 1987)
District and Area Training Manager (1983 to 1986)
Store Manager (1980 to 1983)
NORTH HARRIS COUNTY COLLEGE, Houston, Texas
Certified Restaurant Health Inspector - City of Houston Health Department
State Certified Food Protection Management Program Instructor