Director of Quality Assurance
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY • OPERATIONS
Leadership ~ Project Management ~ Quality Assurance ~ Process Improvement
· Skilled leader with expertise in application life-cycle management, standard procedures and policies, and process improvement. Dialog with users and match business processes with application logic. Drive inefficiencies from business processes; participate in cost reduction efforts. Coordinate project development efforts in relation to continuous improvement.
· Develop and integrate applications on variety of platforms for multiple interrelated IT business areas. Provide project management, leadership and solution development. Participate in all phases of development life cycle. Provide feedback to ensure quality of development and enforce standards. Develop, integrate and coordinate cross-organization test projects.
· Strong technical, troubleshooting and process management skills. Effective oral and written communication skills with individuals across all levels of an organization. Consistently recognized by management for superior performance and creative problem-solving ability.
· Define and manage customer-focused initiatives in all stages of development. Interface with cross-functional teams within the organization as well as with outside vendors. Thoroughly experienced in collaborative development and institution of business systems impacting customer relationship management. Create and implement tools to monitor application performance. Deliver diagnostic solutions.
· Define and promote processes that govern how an organization performs requirements definition, design, implementation, test and support activities. Design system enhancements that boost productivity and close operational gaps.
· Audit processes to ensure they are properly implemented and produce the desired effect. Work to improve effectiveness of processes. Knowledgeable in industry-standard QA activities.
· Competent in writing and editing technical documentation. Support applications that reside on Unisys mainframes coded in X-Gen as well as applications that reside on IBM mainframes and coded in Cobol. Support 3-tier applications with components in Java, Tuxedo, Db2, etc. Facilitate introduction of new software as tools to support applications. Streamline processes and gather data to optimize management of workload.
UnitedHealth Group – Plymouth, Minnesota
1998 – Present
DIRECTOR OF QUALITY ASSURANCE/IT DIRECTOR, Uniprise Technologies (2002 – Present)
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS, United Health Networks (2001 – Present)
IS DIRECTOR OF HEALTH PLAN SYSTEMS INTEGRATION, UnitedHealthcare (2001)
IS MANAGER QUALITY ASSURANCE HPSI (1998 – 2001)
· Focus on improving end-results and productivity. Implemented process to ensure success of phase containment and deliverables. Gathered data to build baseline and initiated processes to improve baseline. Purchased tools to gather and use data for managing work effectively.
· Researched and recommended purchase of technology improvements (e.g., Mercury test Director, Mercury WinRunner and LoadRunner). Success of these technologies was the impetus for the corporation making them the standard testing tool set.
· Spearheaded creation and implementation of User Acceptance Testing as a re-usable test environment; engaged and trained business partners on benefits of use. Hired and trained individuals to lead processes.
· Provide leadership, direction and support to QA team of 22 mid-range through management level technicians that maintain the technology to support 6 applications that support the sales, marketing and front-end processing for major U.S. healthcare corporation with offices nationwide. Support business objectives and interact with other functionally related departments.
· Oversee team that manages strategic operational projects for United Health Networks: Operation Clean Sweep and Unified Platform for Growth.
· Key player on leadership team to select vendor and lead outsourcing transition of large platform. Determined overall structure of outsourcing and impact on internal QA team.
· Developed IS QA Focus Group to take QA global within all UnitedHealth Group IS departments, focusing on development lifecycle adherence, Go/No-Go criteria, factual communication strategies, risk management and process improvement processes.
· Manage overall project quality. Ensure that all components of software development lifecycle are followed and all exit and entrance criteria are met along the cycle. Test all new and changed functionality to applications during development lifecycle.
· Select optimal tools that will reduce work effort and increase validity of testing. Ensure no defects will deploy to production. Reduced deployment of defects by 90% within 12 months.
· Rolled out metrics methodology to gather, report and use data to manage projects and ensure overall quality of deliverables. Maintain highest standards for product quality and service.
· Boosted quality assurance competency to CMM level-3 organization: evaluated staff, made modifications to enhance and improve efficiencies and quality; evaluated and purchased tools to support improvements; and monitored value to ensure achievement of continuous improvement.
· Led development of QA methodology for all HPSI approved projects. Methodology adopted by other UHG develop areas.
· Designed and implemented direct-report format to manage team and application areas. To ensure staff success, implemented career coaching model to support employees with day-to-day issues, concerns, career development plans and HR issues.
· Served as account relationship manager to work with Ovations leadership team to resolve issues and strategize approaches to restructure/enhance system.
· Managed team salary, training and staff welfare budgets; maintained 98% employee retention.
· Developed 5-week training program for new employees. Reduced learning curve and improved employee productivity by 85%.
UnitedHealthcare – Edina, Minnesota
1996 – 1998
· Managed numerous conversion projects that improved accuracy, productivity and efficiency for users, i.e., oversaw Medicaid and Medicare implementations, created Medicaid interface development team concept and managed development of 100+ front- and back-end programs.
Jack Henry and Associates – Roseville, Minnesota
1989 – 1996
SERVICE BUREAU MANAGER; PROJECT MANAGER, TRAINER CONVERSION DEPT.
· Managed 13-bank, 5-state 24x7 processing center and 1 off-site banking client operations/computer center. Created and tested disaster recovery plan. Coordinated annual state and federal regulatory audits.
· Initiated steps to optimize client relationship management, assisted sales team in closing new business and renegotiated contracts.
· Served as project manager for conversion of legacy system platform to Liberty Banking platform.
· Wrote and marketed a computer-based training program to enable clients to train their employees on efficient use of proprietary banking platform.
Previous employment in the banking industry as an operations specialist.
EDUCATION / TRAINING
Recent workshops include:
· Certified Software Test Engineer
· Software Development
· Writing Skills
· Rensselaer Leadership Training
· System/Platform Conversions
· Creating CBT
· Boot Camp for Test Managers
· Communication Skills
· Authoring Tools
· Project Management Institute
· Health Care Training
· Quality Assurance Methodologies
· Medicare and Medicaid IT
· Creating Web Pages
Graduate, St. Paul Vocational Institute – St. Paul, Minnesota