Special Education Teacher Primary
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Sensitive, creative and patient Special Education teacher with over 12 years of experience in championing educational and developmental student needs. Masters-prepared professional who works collaboratively to develop innovative, age-appropriate solutions for behaviorally and emotionally challenged K-4 students.
Determined and tireless worker who forges strong relationships with other educators, administrators and parents. Additional experience in delivering presentations, grant writing and providing full-time care for special needs children.
Fitchburg State College, Fitchburg, MA
M.Ed. in Early Childhood Education
Lesley College, Cambridge, MA
B.S. in Education
Dual Certification in Moderate Special Needs and Elementary Education with a Minor in Psychology
Alternative School, Lowell, MA
1998 - Present
Special Education Teacher
• Design and implement curricula to meet the individual needs of behaviorally/ emotionally challenged special needs students.
• Brainstorm and strategize comprehensive behavioral management plans with teachers, aids and parents.
• Chosen as Team Chairperson to lead development and implementation of individualized educational plans.
Summer School Program, Lowell, MA
Fourth Grade Teacher
Implemented and supplemented age-appropriate curricula to meet the needs of fourth grade students working below grade level.
• Received "Excellence in Teaching" award from school principal.
Concord Public Schools, Concord, MA
• Designed interactive workshop to facilitate understanding of daily disability challenges faced by students.
• Trained staff of 25 to work with children of varying disabilities in a regular camp setting.
• Collaborated with staff and designed activities to include a seven-year-old girl with tuberosclerosis in the regular Concord Recreation Program.
Donahue Elementary School, Lowell, MA
1995 - 1998
Third Grade Teacher
• Implemented and supplemented curricula in a regular third grade classroom.
• Teamed with Chapter I, ESL and Special Education teachers and devised curricula to meet the individual needs of the student population.
• Developed and taught thematic units to enhance student involvement and participation, such as a class company owned and operated by students.
Reilly Elementary School, Lowell, MA
1992 - 1995
Behavior Management Program Teacher
• Developed a behavior management program that provided a positive and nurturing environment for students in grades 1- 4.
• Implemented strong comprehensive behavior modification programs to coincide with individualized academic programs.
• Conducted home visits that linked home and school as partners in development.
Innovative Teacher Mini-Grant, The Reynolds Foundation
• Innovative Teacher Mini-Grant, The Reynolds Foundation
• Wrote extensive grant request that won funding for a teacher-developed unit to match the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks. Titled Creating the Sky, it was a program that allowed children to create a sky consistent with the Earth and Space Science Strand.
• Camp Fatima Counselor, Exceptional Citizens' Week
• Abraham, NH
• Summers 1996 - Present
Counselor, Exceptional Citizens' Week
• Selected as counselor at Camp Fatima: a charitable overnight summer camp for disabled children. Requested to return for9 consecutive summers.
• Paired with one severely disabled camper and performed all living, health and personal care needs for an entire week.
• Led local fund-raising events such as bake sales and donor drives throughout the year to benefit camp.
Lowell Public Schools, Lowell, MA Spring
• Developed and presented 5 interactive workshops for teachers and administrators on behavioral management at the Sullivan Elementary School.