Project Manager Aerospace
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
TEAM LEAD • PROJECT MANAGER • SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
Highly respected, dynamic professional demonstrating expertise and broad ranging experience in structural and mechanical systems maintenance; finite element analysis, complex 3D and simple 2D models; elastic, elastic plastic, dynamic, heat transfer and buckling analysis; and strong structures engineering and design experience. History of accomplishing exceptional change management practices to achieve cohesive, productive teams, increased efficiency and reduced expenditure, and improved client relationships. Consistently recognized by management for outstanding technical, interpersonal, leadership and communication skills. Vital ability to thrive in high stress environments.
CORE STRENGTHS & CAPABILITIES
· Organizational Performance & Productivity
· Strategic Direction & Procedures
· Written & Oral Communications
· Dynamic Team Building & Leadership
· Change Management
· Rapid Problem Solving & Decision Making
· High Stress Challenging Environments
· Complex Engineering
· Client Relationship Management
· Trainer & Motivator
· Vital Team Member
· Project Design & Management
· Interpersonal Expertise
· Public Speaking & Presentations
Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, Access, PowerPoint; eMatrix; MSC.Nastan; MSC.Patran; HKS Abaqua, CATIA; Solidworks
Windows; SGI IRIX; UNIX
C++; Fortran; AWK; MSC PCL
BOEING AUSTRALIA – RAAF, Amberley, Qld
2003 to Present
F-111 Airframe Systems Team Lead
Received rapid promotion from Senior Structures Engineer after one month. Charged with implementation of proactive change management strategies and direction and motivation of team of structural and mechanical engineers, systems technicians and technical assessors responsible for all engineering and logistics aspects of RAAF F-111 airframes, fuel, environmental control systems, hydraulic and flight control systems and including RAAF 707 tanker/transport mechanical systems engineering support.
Accountable for F-111 fleet in-service management planning and strategies; all aspects F-111 structural integrity management plan; and compliance with RAAF airworthiness regulations. Lead team of 32 in the management of numerous multi-million dollar F-111 upgrade and running system projects and development and implementation of procedures to ensure long-term F-111 viability. Manage day-to-day staffing matters including hiring, training, performance plans and reviews and disciplinary issues. Coordinate sub-contractors. Exercise full team budget and resource accountability. Maintain excellent personal and team relations with RAAF personnel. Liaise with Strike Program Manager and other project managers to ensure accurate resources.
Inherited a team that was fragmented and lacking motivation resulting in low morale, severely reduced productivity, inability to meet deadlines and poor client relations.
Rapidly assessed environment and implemented more open style of management ensuring ease of access, guidance and advice, and assertively leading and motivating by personal example. Encouraged ownership by allowing decision-making power where appropriate and consolidated broad range of team experience and expertise to form a cohesive unit.
Outstanding turnaround was rapidly achieved resulting in a team demonstrating strong, committed work ethic, harmonious and productive environment, active participation in identifying strategies to increase efficiency and reduce costs, and able to consistently meet all deadlines. Achieved greatly improved level of communications between team members and clients.
· Recipient of Instant Recognition Award for rapid identification in F-111 wing fatigue test failure resulting in grounding of entire fleet. Implemented diverse strategies to ensure rapid short-term fleet recovery and long-term capability.
· Increased aircraft safety and availability and recognized significant time and revenue savings through development of specialist work group of aircrew and engineers.
· Hold engineering authority for F-111 airframe design changes and logistical authority for airframe and mechanical systems design changes.
· Established tools to track and measure improvements in engineering efficiency.
· Member of Boeing Australia Structural and Mechanical Systems Engineering Process Council with responsible input into setting relevant policies and developing new processes throughout Boeing Australia.
· Receive outstanding senior management feedback and reviews as dynamic leader and excellent company representative.
AEROSTRUCTURES TECHNOLOGIES PTY LTD – Melbourne, Vic
1997 to 2003
Project Manager / Principal Engineer – F-111 (2000 –2003)
Full management accountability for all F-111 related activities and direction of numerous RAAF F-111 projects. Functioned as company’s Principal Engineer for Finite Element Analysis. Key team member responsible for achieving one of the best finite element capabilities in Australia.
Developed aircraft external and internal in-flight loads and specifications to assess aircraft structural integrity. Advanced company procedures for conduct of finite element analysis and trained engineers. Supervised up to 10 personnel and assisted in hiring and performance reviews. Developed relevant short and long-term resource requirements. Conducted F-111 running system engineering tasks, investigation into effects of AGM-142E standoff missile on continued structural integrity of F-111C, and others.
· Managed $2 million F-111C Strain Survey designed to establish stress capabilities and maintenance methodologies to ensure government stated planned withdrawal date.
· Grew client base from one major account to five through exceptional degree of customer service, dedicated hard work and demonstrating outstanding technical competence and value for money. Established dedicated staff to meet increasing work load.
· Developed specifications serving both RAAF and the company governing all fatigue related engineering.
· Consistently achieved early promotions and ranking higher than peers. Received senior management feedback as energetic, dynamic and technically astute engineer.
Senior Engineer – Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems (LMTAS) (1999 – 2000)
One of only 5 engineers selected to travel to Lockheed Martin, Texas, USA, for 18-month duration to commence development of in-country expertise when Australia became sole operator of the F-111.
Requested by RAAF to be posted to LMTAS while under F-111C Sole Operator Program. Undertook construction of F-111C Internal Loads Finite Element Model. Gained high degree of exposure to F-16 and F/A-22 fighter aircraft construction environment and developed further in-depth understanding of design progress from conception to manufacture.
· Vital member of 3-man team to construct F-111C Internal Load Finite Element Model using OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) supplied data. This major project involved the construction of geometric surfaces using CATIA, meshing of geometry, property assignments, debug of the FEM and application and balancing of representative in-flight aerodynamic load cases.
· Collaborated on the development of external aircraft loads and certification of crack growth software currently used on RAAF F-111 aircraft and USAF F-16, F/A-22 and JSF (F-35).
Senior Engineer –PC-9A Fatigue Test / F-111 Program (1997 – 1999)
Promoted to Senior Engineer in charge of the conduct of Aircraft Fatigue Data Acquisition System calibration of fleet PC-9A aircraft involving specification of external test loads and design of test rigs. Developed RAAF documentation and procedures for managing testing activities.
As Engineer on F-111 SOP accountability included correlation of F-111C Wing Pivot Fitting FEM with measured strain data, elastic plastic analysis of stiffener runouts and investigation into the effect of removal of boron doublers from the F-111C Wing Pivot Fitting upper plate.
· Collaborated on development of optimized stiffener runout profiles, subsequently implemented on RAAF F-111C fleet.
Engineer – AMRL PC-9A Fatigue Test (1997)
Developed Finite Element Models for fatigue damage sites, repair designs and the running of the OEM supplied loads model of the PC-9A. Executed all modeling in conjunction with OEM engineers.
· Developed software in FORTRAN77 and FORTRAN90 in support of test loads development utilizing monitoring and fatigue analysis.
AERONAUTICAL AND MARITIME RESEARCH LABORATORY (AMRL)
– Fishermans Bend, Melbourne, Vic
1996 to 1997
Employed as vital team member for F/A-18 International Follow-On Structural Test Program. Areas of accountability included interpretation of measured strain data; implementation of OEM finite element models; development of F/A-18 fuselage load equations.
· Developed and implemented finite element models for the F/A-18 aft fuselage for loads and stress analysis and developed repairs for F/A-18 fatigue test article.
· Wrote software for data health checking for high speed buffet data recording on F/A-18 IFOSTP.
BECA SIMONS PTY LTD – Melbourne, Vic
1994 to 1996
Mechanical Design Engineer
Recruited as new graduate with responsibility for design and analysis of high-pressure piping, design of tanks and pressure vessels, and static and dynamic analysis of engineering systems using finite element analysis. Prepared tenders and conducted bid evaluations. Wrote equipment specifications.
· Designed and oversaw construction and installation of large storage silos, and piping and pump arrangements for the Australian Paper M4 paper machine upgrade at Maryvale, Latrobe Valley.
· Participated in the design of the new M5 paper machine at Australian Paper Maryvale, Latrobe Valley.
AUSTRALIAN ARMY RESERVES – Rifle Company
1990 to 1996
Achieved Section 2IC with command of 9 men.
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING: MECHANICAL & COMPUTING (1994)
MONASH UNIVERSITY – Melbourne, Vic
Graduated with 2nd Class Honors
Leading & Managing People • Australian Institute of Management (2002)
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
MEMBER: BOEING AUSTRALIA STRUCTURAL & MECHANICAL SSYTEMS ENGINEERING PROCESS COUNCIL
INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS (1993 – 1998)
ALFA ROMEO CAR CLUB (1995 – 1999)
RYE YACHT CLUB (1983 – 1999)
Beverley Neil - firstname.lastname@example.org