General Manager Hospice
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Community Education Representative / General Manager / Medical Social Worker
· Offering 9 years of solid experience working with patients, family members, and staff within three hospices, a nursing home, and child protective services.
· Earned a reputation as a task master, problem solver, and troubleshooter.
· Sent to a hospice location in severe trouble to serve as a general manager, successfully increasing profit, reducing durable medical equipment (DME), pharmacy, and labor costs, and securing new contracts.
· Completed a master’s degree in social work and earned licensure as an LMSW in 1998.
· Communicated successfully with physicians, medical directors, psychiatrists, psychologists, case managers, administrators, social workers, directors of nurses, dieticians, therapists, floor nurses, nurse managers, chaplains, home health aides, patient care managers, and ambulance services, as well as attorneys and judges.
Areas of expertise include:
· Cold calling to secure new accounts
· Managing existing accounts
· Developing strategic sales plans
· Developing client relationships
· Resolving problems and minimizing complaints
· Creating strong community and healthcare referrals
· Leading sales and marketing team meetings
· Hiring and training staff
· Supervising and motivating employees
· Writing employee performance evaluations
· Assisting in regulation compliance
· Conducting in-service training presentations
ODYSSEY HEALTHCARE – Houston, Texas
2000 to Present
General Manager – La Grange, Texas (August 2003 to Present)
Transferred to manage and turnaround all operations for this hospice office that was purchased in December 2002 and not in compliance with Odyssey standards. Managed a $2.4 million budget. Supervised 20 employees, including nursing personnel, social workers, sales and marketing staff, chaplain, volunteer coordinator, bereavement coordinator, and billing coordinator.
· Brought office into compliance very successfully by training staff and implementing policies and procedures, and 14 service standards.
· Increased profitability, reduced DME and pharmacy expenses, and decreased labor costs.
· Improved morale and decreased employee turnover rate through teambuilding, employee suggestions, staff support, “Talk to the Top” monthly discipline meetings, training, and education
· Secured 8 new nursing home and hospital contracts.
· Initiated and conducted weekly sales training workshops and accompanied sales representatives into the field to expand territory and increase market penetration, attaining referrals from under serviced areas.
Community Education Representative – Houston, Texas (July 2001 to August 2003)
Managed a territory throughout North and Northeast Houston to market and sell the services of this hospice. Accounts represented general and rehabilitation hospitals, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, home health agencies, and physician practices. Negotiated contracts for nursing homes and hospitals.
· Assigned to the Southwest Houston territory for first six months.
· Promoted to the more challenging North and Northeast territory after former representative had taken key accounts to a new company.
· Achieved as high as 200% of plan for weekly referrals.
· Grew number of accounts by 50%, establishing strong alliances with 4 physicians, and by securing contracts with the Memorial Hermann Hospital System and 6 nursing homes.
· Attained status as a CEU provider and significantly expanded the number of in-service training sessions conducted in nursing homes and hospitals.
Social Worker (October 2000 to July 2001)
Conducted psychosocial assessments of patients and family members. Trained new social workers.
· Contributed to a system where important data and physician signatures for patient medical charts was obtained and filed in a timely manner, helping maintain Medicare compliance.
· Recognized as one of the strongest employees in the office for contributions and work ethic.
CIRCLE OF LIFE HOSPICE – Austin, Texas
1999 to 2000
Hired specifically to help establish and grow this startup hospice group, while providing social services to patients and family members. Supervised and trained a social work intern.
· Contributed to building the census by creating a community educational outreach program that produced 5 to 6 referrals each month, which was 50% of the full-time marketing representative’s total.
· Revamped the social work assessment forms into a narrative format, providing more detailed information and reducing project time by eliminating the need to research additional information at a later date.
· Managed the bereavement program, writing and tracking correspondence to family members, as well as organizing, orchestrating, and conducting bereavement support groups.
· Trained replacement prior to leaving for position with Odyssey Healthcare.
GARDEN TERRACE HEALTH AND REHAB – Austin, Texas
1998 to 1999
Director of Social Services
Managed all social services activities to address the psychosocial needs of 130 nursing home residents, a population which had a large number of young adults with psychiatric needs. Supervised social workers and social work interns. Maintained a complaint log that provided a system to track and insure that problems were resolved. Conducted discharge planning from Medicare SNF.
CHILDREN’S PROTECTIVE SERVICES – Houston and Austin, Texas
1993 to 1995
Child Protective Specialist I & II
Managed and investigated approximately 100 cases per month of reported child abuse for this agency under the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services. Promoted to a conservatorship case manager, taking over cases once children were removed from their homes and placed into foster care. Participated in the PAL Program, working with teenagers in permanent State of Texas custody.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY – San Marcos, Texas
Master of Social Work – 1998
UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON – MAIN CAMPUS – Houston, Texas
Bachelor of Science in Psychology – Minor in Sociology – 1993
General Manager Training – 2003
Hospice Pre-Survey Seminar – DHS – 2003
Strategic Sales Training – 2002
TEXAS STATE BOARD OF SOCIAL WORK EXAMINERS – Austin, Texas
Licensed Master of Social Work – Since 1998