Healthcare Administrator Public Health
604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
Highly-successful results-oriented healthcare executive with Masters of Public Health and Health Care Administration. Hands-on expertise in Emergency Medicine, Operations, Finance, Nursing, Strategic Planning, and Communication
• Demonstrated leadership of diverse management teams focusing on aligning program goals to the mission, values, culture and strategic goals of an organization.
• Proven ability to integrate clinical quality and service quality into all aspects of operations and establish a balanced scorecard to monitor and evaluate progress and outcomes.
• Establish positive collaborative working relationships with people at all organizational levels and across organizational boundaries; experienced in working with union and non-union environments and with medical staff.
• Expertise and hands-on experience in operations; proven ability to develop, meet and exceed program and financial goals while enhancing clinical services; consistently maintain high quality of work in every area of responsibility.
• Develop and link clinical documentation practices and patient charging systems to improve practice, establish documentation standards, optimize reimbursement and meet regulatory requirements.
• Managed 4 major facility construction projects ranging in cost from $300,000 to $6 million; projects included completion of feasibility studies and sourcing of funds for the projects. Consistently followed systems thinking and change management principles to align processes and work flow focusing on desired outcomes.
Reed and Associates, Montgomery, AL
2000 - Present
SYSTEM DIRECTOR, EMERGENCY SERVICES
Provided operational leadership and strategic planning for emergency services and urgent care programs at various healthcare system sites, e.g. St. Joseph's Hospital - 20,000 emergency visits, St. John's Hospital - 40,000 emergency visits, Woodwinds Hospital - 12,000 emergency visits and Urgent Care - 7,500 visits.
Developed emergency and urgent care business objectives focusing on the organization's strategic and financial goals to strategically develop care delivery, operations and the emergency physician group. Provided administrative oversight of several site program budgets ($6.4 million operating budget and $25.4 million in revenues) in terms of achieving program goals, standards and efficiencies.
• Developed and implemented emergency and urgent care program policies and procedures for 3 hospital-based emergency programs; ensured regulatory compliance.
• Reorganized freestanding Urgent Care program to improve clinical and service quality and reduced $300,000 loss to $30,000 profit in 12 months; operations improvement included addressing management, clinical staffing, inventory management, patient charging, and reimbursement schedule.
• Partnered with Medical Records, Business Office, Finance and Compliance to review, analyze, develop and implement a revised emergency department charge master / patient billing system and established audits to monitor compliance.
Baker Medical Group, Montgomery, AL
1998 - 2000
Provided strategic planning of administrative, clinical, and operating processes to enhance quality, manage costs, and align emergency services within context of integrated care delivery system.
Developed emergency and walk-in business objectives focusing on the organization's strategic and financial goals to strategically develop care delivery, operations, and the emergency physician group.
Developed and managed several program budgets ($6 million operating budget and $11 million in revenues).
Ensured quality and regulatory standards were achieved through collaboration with emergency medical leadership and provided direction to management staff of clinical services.
• Developed emergency and walk-in / urgent care delivery system; used integrated quality approach focusing on clinical and service quality and operations improvement; partnered with medical staff leadership to achieve outcomes.
• Reduced costs through management of staffing and operations; analyzed, developed, and implemented emergency services, facility charge master, and professional fee schedule.
• Successfully established management team to effect improvements in triage, registration, diagnostic services, and image.
• Developed and launched integrated quality improvement plan to achieve ACS trauma verification, JCAHO accreditation, and HCFA validation. Supported regional entities with clinical and administrative expertise, development of physician and allied health professional recruitment strategy, and supported regulatory compliance of HCFA and JCAHO standards.
• Assumed management responsibilities for Endoscopy to address operational difficulties with respect to quality of service, labor relations and cost management.
• Led development of collaborative relationships with labor groups; integral team member of MNA contract negotiation team.
Community Healthcare Agency, Montgomery, AL
1997 - 1998
Doyle Healthcare, Inc., St. Louis, MO
1995 - 1997
Senior Vice President Operations and Professional Services
Provided leadership and management of emergency trauma program and managed all aspects of the emergency care delivery system and operations.
• Developed operations and care delivery plan for $6 million emergency trauma facility; met budget constraints and facility timelines.
• Managed clinical and medical staff relations to support workflow change during transition.
• Improved consumer satisfaction (84% to 94%) in emergency services over 12 months.
Helix Hospital, Montgomery, AL
1989 - 1995
Manager, Emergency Department
• Developed emergency program within inner city hospital focused on cost effective emergency care, which included design and implementation of "fast track" program.
• Fiscal responsibility for $6.8 million in revenues, and $4.2 million in expenses. Increased operational margin 35% within 12 months and managed 42% increase of emergency visits over 5 years. Significantly increased contribution margin and managed the emergency care delivery system during a time of increase in visits and decrease in hospital inpatient beds.
• Ensured regulatory compliance to JCAHO standards, HCFA and OSHA compliance; validated by surveys.
Geo Health Clinic, St. Louis, MO
1988 - 1989
Assistant Nurse Manager
Supervised clinical staff, ensuring quality patient care was delivered. Problem-solved as needed.
Community Hospital, Independence, MO
1977 - 1988
Romanov Hospital, Cedar Rapids, IA
1976 - 1977
Clinical Nurse Manager, Emergency Services
University of Alabama, Montgomery, Alabama
Masters, Health Care Administration
Thesis: Reducing Urgent Care Patient Length of Stay
Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration
Kirkwood Community College, Cedar Rapids, IA