604 Harmony Lane
Pleasantville, CA 94588
CFO • CEO • FINANCIAL DIRECTOR
Seasoned business leader acknowledged throughout career for capacity to cultivate strategic relationships and build trust, while simultaneously steering positive bottom-line results. A positive, innovative leader; open to fresh ideas and championing an environment of transparent communications that welcomes feedback and inspires teams to excel. Corporate versatility has been honed and refined consulting to a diversity of businesses—from high-profile heavyweights to family-based enterprises across all major sectors. Commercially-astute, influential, and people-focused.
Professional strengths include:
Ÿ Financial Modeling
Ÿ Business Improvement
Ÿ Team Leadership, Training & Direction
Ÿ Succession & Incentive Planning
Ÿ Contract Negotiations
Ÿ Business & Tax Compliance
Ÿ Board Presentations
Ÿ Business Case Building
Ÿ Profit Enhancement
Ÿ Corporate Restructuring
Ÿ System Needs Analysis & Design
Ÿ Change Facilitation
Ÿ Capital Raising
Ÿ Strategic Growth Planning
Ÿ Due Diligence Investigations & Evaluations
Ÿ Management Reporting
Ÿ Client Relationship Management
Ÿ Transparent Communications
Ÿ Debt Restructuring
CREDENTIALS | MEMBERSHIPS
Chartered Accountant Practicing Certificate • Registered Tax Agent • Migration Agent
Member, The Institute of Chartered Accountants
Licensed Member / Proper Authority Holder, Garvan Financial Services
Member, Migration Institute of Australia
Member, Migration Agents Registration Authority
BENCHMARKS & MILESTONES
Productivity & Profit Increases
· Spearheaded a divisional restructure that reduced non-chargeable hours by 8%, enhanced interdepartmental communications, and boosted staff morale.
· Transformed start-up enterprise to an established revenue-generator in just 12-months.
· Steered the financial prosperity of a client’s business enterprise—driving annual revenue increases of 1300% over 5-years.
· Built a solid network of influential contacts in the financial services industry including senior managers of a leading Australian bank. Arranged presentation of how services offered by both firms were complementary opening the door for mutually beneficial referral relationships.
Business Development Initiatives
· Personally secured two clients generating $70K pa.
· Introduced a new service to an accounting practice and facilitated the growth of a second service that delivered 3 of the organization’s top 10 revenue-generating clients. Idea proved so popular, it was later rolled out across all offices nationally.
· Produced the growth strategies that facilitated extensive business expansion for a commercial cleaning business—prompting a 348% increase in staff numbers, and lucrative commercial office and investment purchases.
· Won lucrative client from high-profile competitor through assurances of personalized service and a series of personally-created management and financial reports designed to improve operations.
HAINES NORTON, Adelaide
1998 - Present
Rapidly acclimatized to the nuances and complexities of Australian business, tax laws, and culture following relocation from South Africa. Established a business network and acquired Australian qualifications—a commitment that paid dividends with initial management appointment extended to a partnership offer with Haines Norton—a role that progressively expanded to encompass directing the burgeoning migration services practice.
Conduct all manner of client services from due diligence investigations, through to the establishment of business infrastructure, tax returns, annual account preparation, and audits.
Authorized financial, business development, and procedural decision-maker for the short-term, medium-term, and long-term growth of the business in collaboration with partners.
· Appointed to the board of a prominent software company as a financial and operational trouble-shooter selected by the Managing Director to analyze and report on financial issues and produce recommendations for improvement. Championed the implementation of a new staff rationalization program delivered in tandem with streamlined processes via a strategic change management initiative. Adopted advice yielded positive outcomes with an infinitely more efficient and stable product released to market prompting enhanced reputation, and a marked decline in technical support.
· Personally secured two clients generating $70K pa.
· Facilitated the growth of business migration to the service mix—a highly successful concept later rolled out nationally with similar client and fee increases. Initiative delivered 3 of the firm’s top 10 revenue-generating clients and generated 12% of Adelaide’s total business revenues.
· Gained qualification as a Migration Agent to better understand client issues, government policy, and processes surrounding immigration. Provide migration assistance, introduce clients to business, and tailor accounting and tax planning for migrants.
· Successfully negotiated with the South Australian government to accompany and enhance road shows presented in South Africa.
· Represented Haines Norton Adelaide at the largest migration fair held annually in London.
· Presented financial outlook and tax highlight summary to crowds of up to 200 company conference delegates.
· Revamped the structure and capability of the company’s IT division to ensure a seamless integration of policy, processes, and software with the introduction of the GST in Australia. Trained all Adelaide staff in the operation of software.
· Conducted due diligence for a commercial cleaning business acquisition, and later created the operational infrastructure and growth strategies that facilitated substantial business expansion prompting a 348% increase in staff numbers, commercial offices, investment purchases, and ongoing accounting business for the firm.
· Spearheaded a restructure of the tax division, consolidating all staff and trainees under a new manager. Idea spurred increased efficiencies with a reduction of 8% in non-chargeable hours, enhanced communications, and boosted staff morale.
· Built solid network of influential financial leaders including senior managers of Westpac, and arranged presentation of complementary services designed to build a mutually beneficial referral base.
· Inspired a staff member to enhance professional career through study, by mentoring and providing feedback on career opportunities available.
S. McGOVERN & CO, Johannesburg, South Africa
1991 - 1998
Transformed business from a start-up to an established revenue generator in just 12-months. Planned and plotted growth strategies, introduced business systems, controls, and accurate recording and reporting mechanisms, and ensured critical business decisions were well thought-out and responsive to the needs of the firm and its people.
Conducted a skills analysis that reinforced the need for staff and managers to concentrate on specialist knowledge.
· Secured first lucrative client from high profile competitor Ernst & Young, building a convincing case for change based on personal attention, qualifications, and proven knowledge. Swayed client through the presentation of professional and accurate management reports complete with a set of business recommendations designed to improve operations.
· Increased profitability for the largest privately-owned pharmacy group in South Africa generating $AUD 766K monthly. Acquisitions and growth advice, together with recommendations for tighter fiscal controls, new financial software, and more focused staff supervision, led to improved financial controls, and opportunities for future expansion.
· Appointed Financial Executive and Board Member to a client’s company, establishing the controls seen as critical for business growth. Personally oversaw the financial prosperity of the enterprise, driving annual turnover increases of more than 1300% to an annual $AUD 6.8 million over the next five-years.
· Evaluated and implemented proprietary brand software for best “fit” to the practice. Trained and educated staff in the use of the software, and became a system “specialist” in assessing and introducing new accounting systems and software to clients’ operations.
· Campaigned successfully with bankers to achieve attractive business loans, overdrafts and property loans for clients based on meticulously created business plans and analysis reports.
· Circumvented potentially costly penalties by providing expert tax planning and compliance advice, and profit improvement strategies.
IBM SOUTH AFRICA, Johannesburg, South Africa
1986 - 1991
Senior Business Analyst
Recruited as Financial Accountant and Project Manager for the Used-Equipment Marketing Division, ordering and importing equipment; project managing and coordinating equipment installations, and preparing monthly management accounts for subsequent presentation to the company executive.
· Promoted to Senior Business Analyst after researching, compiling, and presenting a comprehensive feasibility report to the executive management team that demonstrated the profit potential of creating a new business division.
· Recipient, numerous performance-based awards and recognition communiqués acknowledging superior efforts in project managing the importation and installation of used mainframe equipment at clients’ sites.
· Kessel Feinstein Management Consultants, Senior Consultant
· Bolus Group of Companies, Company Accountant to Group Financial Controller
· Eliasov Wolf and Partners, Senior Chartered Accountant
· Freedman & Partners, Trainee Accountant
Microsoft Office • Accpac Accounting • Sybiz Evolution • Solution 6
• MYOB Accounting Plus/Premier • Quickbooks • Quicken
Internet, email, Windows 2000/XP/ME/98/95
Bachelor of Accounting Science
University of South Africa (1982)
Professional Year Institute of Chartered Accountants
Institute of Chartered Accountants (2001)
Diploma in Financial Planning
Deakin University (2002)
Diploma in Migration Law
University of Victoria (2003)
Committed to ongoing professional development through workshops, conferences, and formal/informal training. Recent training includes the Public Practice Program; Buying & Selling A Business; Property Transactions Applying for GST, Income Tax and CGT; Migration Planning State Conference; Financial Planning Updates.